You are currently browsing the monthly archive for September 2012.
Don’t be silent while Bernalillo County considers whether or not to further isolate political prisoner Oso Blanco from his son, and his son from his paternal family.
Write a character reference letter for Byron Shane of the Chubbuck Clan, also known as Oso Blanco.
A hearing will be held in Bernalillo County, New Mexico on October 24th, 2012 and the judge is expected to rule on whether or not Oso Blanco will be able to visit with his son, as well as whether or not the young man will continue to visit with his paternal grandparents.
We are barraged with causes and appeals to write letters lately and it’s tempting to tune out and keep scrolling.
For those of us who know and care about Oso Blanco and political prisoners generally, unfortunately this may be our only chance to speak up and say that we know this man, we know he is a good and caring, community-oriented person who should continue to be part of his son’s life; who is a good influence on his son, as he is a good influence on the rest of his family and community. If we don’t speak up now, we may not have another chance.
If you believe in the earth, in freedom, in indigenous sovereignty, in the Zapatistas, in healing, and love for all beings, then you are a friend, a sister, and/or a brother of Byron Shane of the Chubbuck Clan.
Send your letter today!
Address your letter to
Mr. Gregory T Ireland, Clerk of the District Court
CC: Honorable Elizabeth E Whitefield
Bernalillo County Courthouse
PO Box 488
Albuquerque, NM 87103-0488
Presiding Judge, Honorable Elizabeth Whitefield:
Re: Case # DM 2012 001757
[To protect the privacy of Chubbuck’s family, I am not posting any of their names online. If you want to know the name of the case or reminders of the names to use in your letter, email or message me — ttw]
Things to talk about
- How you know Byron Chubbuck, what is your relationship, how long have you known him, etc.
- Why Byron will continue to be a good father to his son and how you know. You might talk about his qualities or his history, being as specific and first-hand as possible. Cite specific examples if possible. Maybe his work with Project Share in Albequerque, his concern and support for hungry children in Chiapas and Guatemala, things he’s said or done for you and/or other family and friends while inside. Make it honest, heartfelt, true, and real. See the link below.
- Why the grandparents should continue to be part of the young man’s life as well.
- Wrap up by restating that you believe that Byron should have visitation rights because it would be in the best interest of the young man.
- Sign it and provide an address. Keep in mind that you are submitting this letter to public court record. Do not say anything negative about anyone and do not include anything you don’t want on public record.
More on Byron Shane of the Chubbuck Clan
Or for more, go here and scroll down to the “Utter Chubbuck” article.
More on writing character reference letters in support of child visitation rights
Email, comment, or message Through the Walls and let me know when you send in your letter.
I’m sure Oso Blanco will appreciate hearing from you as well if you want to write:
Byron Shane Chubbuck #07909-051
P.O. BOX 1000
LEWISBURG, PA 17837